Department of Neurology at Ramkrishna CARE Hospitals provides best-in-class advanced neurological services. The institute brings together expert physicians, state-of-the-art technology, cutting-edge treatment options and superior patient-focused care to deliver the best possible outcomes with a high percentage of success. Our medical staff is committed to the physical and emotional needs of patients who come to us with diseases that affect the brain, spinal cord and nervous system. Ramkrishna CARE Hospitals is renowned for providing specialized care in stroke, epilepsy, head and spinal injuries, brain tumors, attack disorders and movement disorders. The Institute of Neurosciences is supported by modern neuro-radiology services & neuro-intensive care facilities.
A stroke occurs when the blood supply to a part of the brain is compromised, either because of a blockage in the blood vessel or due to a rupture of the blood vessel, resulting in bleeding into the brain. Brain cells require a continuous supply of blood, which carries oxygen and vital nutrients. If the blood supply is cut off, the brain cells begin to die.
There are two main types of stroke:
- Ischemic stroke: An ischemic stroke occurs when the blood supply to one part of the brain is cut off due to a blockage in an artery. The clot that blocks the artery may form within the artery (thrombotic stroke), or be carried to the brain from another part of the body (embolic stroke).
- Hemorrhagic stroke: A hemorrhagic stroke occurs when a blood vessel in the brain ruptures. This decreases the amount of blood flowing to the affected part of the brain. Also, the blood that accumulates in the brain clots over time and presses on the brain, decreasing its ability to function. The bleed may happen inside the brain (intra-cerebral bleed) or in the space between the brain and the skull.
Department of Neurosciences at Ramkrishna CARE Hospitals offers intravenous and intra-arterial thrombolysis therapy for acute strokes, within a time frame of 4-5 hours after the onset of stroke. Ramkrishna CARE Hospitals provides the best stroke treatment in Middle India with a dedicated neuro-intensive care unit and post-stroke rehabilitation services, including physiotherapy, speech therapy and occupational therapy.
Comprehensive Epilepsy Program
Epilepsy is a neurological disease characterized by repeated abnormal electrical discharges from the brain, resulting in fits or convulsions. The disease may affect one part of the body — partial or focal epilepsy, or the whole body may be affected — generalized epilepsy. During a generalized epileptic attack, the patient can lose complete consciousness, resulting in falls or injuries. The Institute of Neurosciences at Ramkrishna CARE Hospitalsprovides customized treatment plans and comprehensive programs for patients, even those with the most difficult-to-control seizures. The institute also provides comprehensive epilepsy surgery programs for adults and children. Patients with epilepsy, including those suitable for neurosurgery, are treated by a multidisciplinary group of neurologists and nurses, available round-the-clock. We offer epilepsy expertise in:
- Managing medical therapy
- Epilepsy surgery
- Pediatric epilepsy
Head injury refers to trauma to the scalp, skull or brain caused either by a fall or an accident. Ramkrishna CARE Hospitalsis a leader in managing these complex problems. The Institute of Neurosciences provides 24x7 emergency services, offering patients individualized and timely care, advice and counseling. Teams of doctors, expert in neurology, orthopedics, facio-maxillary services, as well as plastic general surgeons and neurosurgeons are available round the clock, providing prompt and efficient treatment.
The Institute of Neurosciences excels in the diagnosis and treatment of spinal disorders, including scoliosis, slipped disc, spinal stenosis, spondylosis and spinal tumors. The institute also provides accurate diagnosis and increased safety during therapeutic procedures. Specialists use the most advanced techniques available for spinal imaging, interventional neuro-radiology, electrophysiological testing and surgery.
The institute offers various treatment options for adults and children, suffering from movement disorders, including Parkinson’s disease, tremors and dystonia. It uses a multidisciplinary approach, working closely with imaging technology like MRI, rehabilitation and pain management.
Headache refers to a sensation of pain or discomfort in the head and/or a range of abnormal head sensations. It is not a disease in itself but rather a symptom of underlying disease. The Institute of Neurosciences provides appropriate diagnosis and management of common headaches like migraine, tension headaches and trigeminal neuralgia, as per international standards and guidelines.
Ramkrishna CARE Hospitalshas an advanced electrophysiology lab with state-of-the-art equipment providing services like:
- ECG, video EEG, bedside EEG
- Nerve conduction studies, Electromyography (ENMG)
- Visual Evoked Potentials (VEP)
- Brainstem auditory evoked potentials
- Autonomic nervous system assessment
- There is a dedicated unit where all types of emergencies like acute stroke, seizures, Guillain-Barre syndrome, myasthenia crisis and hyper acute demyelinating disorders are treated with utmost care.
- Conditions like viral encephalitis, bacterial meningitis, tubercular meningitis and status epileptics are treated in the neuro ICU, in coordination with the Critical Care Department.
The Rehabilitation Centre treats patients with paralysis, stroke, trauma and effects of surgery, who are left with some form of disability — physical, psychological or social. The Rehabilitation Centre at Ramkrishna CARE Hospitalsemploys methods for training or retraining neural pathways to regain or improve neuro-cognitive functioning that has been diminished by disease or traumatic injury.
The Institute of Neurosciences has surgeons who specialize in all subspecialties of neurological surgery for comprehensive management of brain, spinal cord and peripheral nerve diseases and its disorders. It is equipped with the latest technology. The subspecialties of neuro-surgery include:
- Brain aneurysms & AVM (Arteriovenous Malformation)
- Brain tumors
- Pediatric neurosurgery
- Functional neurosurgeries
- Pituitary tumors
- Spine and peripheral nerve problems
- Functional neurosurgery
- Movement disorders
- Parkinson's disease
- Epilepsy surgery
- Trigeminal neuralgia and hemifacial spasm
- Head and spinal injuries
The neuro-radiology services at Ramkrishna CARE Hospitalsinclude performing and interpreting advanced neuro-imaging studies for prompt and accurate diagnosis of neurological disorders. Patient care, teaching and research form the core principles of the center. Interventional radiology has been described as the surgery of the new millennium. Our interventional radiology center provides state-of-the-art diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, through the use of minimally invasive techniques, employing image guidance. The goal of intensive radiology is to deliver safe, effective and compassionate care to all our patients.
Services & Procedures
Ramkrishna CARE Hospitals is renowned for providing specialized treatment options and the best neuro healthcare to patients. The advanced Institute of Neurosciences at Ramkrishna CARE Hospitalsmakes CARE one of the best neurology hospitals in India, boasting of expert neurologists, state-of-the-art treatment options, cutting edge technology and specialised patient-focused care, with one of the country’s best success rates. Our neurosurgeons treat all types of neurological diseases including:
- Intravenous and intra-arterial thrombolysis therapy for acute strokes within a time frame of 4-5 hours after the onset of stroke
- Dedicated neuro-intensive care unit for emergency management of stroke and its complications for better outcomes
- Stroke prevention packages at affordable costs, which check for risk factors and prevent brain strokes
- Post-stroke rehabilitation with physiotherapy, speech therapy and occupational therapy
- Dedicated epilepsy clinic where patients receive appropriate medicine, advice, counseling and information material
- Round-the-clock neurologist available for management of seizures
- For female patients with epilepsy, advice on marriage, pregnancy and genetic counseling
- Surgery for epilepsy with pre-surgical evaluation video EFH
- Thorough assessment and medical management of various movement disorders like Parkinson’s disease, dystonia, etc
- Botulinum Toxin treatment (BoTox) for hemifacial spasm, blepharospasm, spasticity, writer’s cramp, etc
- Surgery with Deep Brain Stimulations (DBS) for Parkinson’s disease, tremor & dystonia
Appropriate diagnosis and management of common headaches like migraine, tension headaches and trigeminal neuralgia is done as per international standards and guidelines.
- General diagnostic image-guided procedures, such as fine needle aspiration and biopsy, biological fluid aspiration, drainage of fluid collections and placement of drainage catheters
- Non-vascular interventional procedures, diagnostic angiography and neuroangiography
- Embolization procedures, such as preoperative as well as definitive embolization for tumors, transarterial cheomembolization (TACE), uterine fibroids (UFE), peripheral vascular malformations and pulmonary arteriovenous malformations
- Emergency embolization procedures for intractable epistaxis, hemoptysis, menorrhagia, gastrointestinal and urinary tract bleeds
- Spinal interventions such as percutaneous vertebroplasty, image-guided facet joint injection and discography
- Peripheral thrombolysis
- IVC filter placement, IVC dilatation and stenting
- Coil embolization of intracranial aneurysms
- Embolization of craniofacial tumors and arteriovenous malformations, intracranial lesions such as, carotid-cavernous fistulae, dural AV malformations
- Intracranial thrombolysis in acute stroke
State-of-the-art laboratory services
Ultrasound scans with Color Doppler
Neuro operating table
Neuro-intensive care unit
Dedicated round-the-clock neurologists and support staff
- Computed tomography (CT)
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
- Digital Subtraction Angiography (DSA)
- Electroencephalogram (EEG)
- Electromyelogram (EMG)
- Nerve conduction velocity test (NCV)
- Evoked Potentials (EP)
- Video EEG
- Doppler studies
Dr. Sanjay SharmaQualifications: MD, DM
Specialty: Neuro Sciences
Location: Ramkrishna CARE Hospitals, Dhamtari Road, Raipur
Dr. Chhatrapal Singh SahuQualifications: MD, DM
Specialty: Neuro Sciences
Location: Ramkrishna CARE Hospitals, Dhamtari Road, Raipur